Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Random Thoughts on Dressing



I am sitting on my couch.  I have dressing in the oven for a work Thanksgiving potluck tomorrow. 

How on earth is it already Thanksgiving? I'm pretty sure just yesterday I was sitting here doing the same thing for last year's potluck.

Making dressing makes me think of Mama.  She taught me how to make it.  It was the thing we made together every Thanksgiving since I decided I wanted to learn how. 

Growing up my mom would let us choose our meal for our birthday dinner.  You could almost always bet that I would pick turkey and dressing.  I was quite a pain of a little child.  But I guess no more difficult than Deborah's fried quail.  I mean, someone had to go out and kill those!

Oh, dressing.  Thanksgiving.  Fall.  The Holidays.  I love it all.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, Sarah!! I'm right where you are these days with dressing, Thanksgiving, fall, holidays nostalgia. I have Monday night plans to bake a pumpkin pie for the Aussie in our office who's never tasted such a thing - what?!? This is my culinary duty. And I will follow the Libby's recipe and my mom's pie crust recipe.

Sarah said...

Oh Sarah, what a sweet memory of your precious Mama!

I will say, you're a bit nuts on the Thanksgiving birthday dinner, but fried quail? Y'all are high maintenance! :)

Kristie said...

I'm with Sarah. Your sister wins on the high maintenance-ness, unless you made someone go out and kill the turkey for your birthday dinner.