Monday, November 05, 2007

Adventures in Half Marathoning...

Lately I feel as if I've been getting a little glimpse of just how mentally unstable I must be to have taken up this hobby we call running. First of all, the sheer fact that I wake up somewhere between 5:00 & 5:30 am in order to run 3 days a week is enough to make anyone crazy. Second, we are getting close enough to the actual event, that the long runs are actually getting quite time consuming. Yesterday, for example, I ran for approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes...I never thought I could tolerate exercising for that long! Lastly, and the most extreme point is that I am putting my life in danger!

Last Thursday, Lisa & I took out in my car to our Jr. High track where we sometimes run. We pull into the parking lot, but Lisa is stalling from actually having to run by reading the book I was taking to my roommate from my hairdresser - Jenny McCarthy's book about how she is "healing" her son's autism. Once I lure Lisa away from Jenny (or her mocking of Jenny), we get out of the car to walk to the track and Lisa spots something moving across the field. At first we think that it's a dog, then another one moves under the light, and we realize that they are coyotes. Yes, I said coyotes! We quickly turn around and get back in the car. But we don't leave immediately, not before we can get a picture of the predators invading our track!


Needless to say, we then went and found a different place to do our running that day. But all day Lisa got to tell people about how Jenny McCarthy saved her life, because if she wouldn't have been reading the book and sitting in the car for longer, than we would have been out on the track before we saw our little friends. I know it's hard to tell in the small picture that it's a coyote, but if you click on the picture it will get bigger, and you can see that our lives really were in danger!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

we were in danger. It's the truth.

Spencer said...

Not again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Curse the day I ever heard the words Jenny and McCarthy and coyote in the same sentence.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you survived your wildlife experience....in the wild terrain of....Richardson? Still scratching my head over that one.

Stephanie said...

It is my understanding that coyotes may be dangerous to small children and pets. :) At least that's what the notice my apartment complex put on my door said about the coyote that has decided to make Shadow Lake it's home. Maybe I should enlist the coyote repelling skills of Jenny McCarthy.